Friday, June 3, 2016

New York City Ballet



In May when I went into NYC for a temple session I decided to stay afterwards for the New York City Ballet. The temple + the ballet... what a wonderful evening! The LDS temple is just across the street from Lincoln Center Plaza, so it was also very convenient. Maybe I'll do this more often? ;)

The ballet was incredible. This was my first time at the New York City Ballet and I was so impressed. The show I went to was called 21st Century Choreographers and it had four performances: Belles-Lettres by Justin Peck, The Mothership by Nicolas Blanc, American Rhapsody by Christopher Wheeldon, and Concerto DSCH by Alexei Ratmansky. 

I have so much to say about these ballets, but I'll try to keep it brief. Justin Peck's ballet was so beautiful that it made me teary eyed... wasn't expecting that. The Mothership was funky and modern, but entertaining. Concerto DSCH was really beautiful and a great ballet to end on. My favorite was Wheeldon's American Rhapsody - a brand new ballet set to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". It was such a beautiful and fun ballet. I loved every minute of it. Of course the highlight of the night was seeing my friend Robbie Fairchild and his wife Tiler Peck perform the leading roles in American Rhapsody. They are so talented. Watching Robbie dance was making me teary because he was my good friend and next-door neighbor growing up, and now he has reached his dreams and it such an incredible star on Broadway and in NYC Ballet. I could go on, but I'll stop there!
Lincoln Plaza selfie to document the fun night out in the city.


After the show I went backstage and talked with Robbie and some of the other principal dancers. It was such a wonderful night!
(I found a last-minute single ticket for just $30, but next time I need to plan ahead, find a babysitter, and enjoy the ballet with Josh!)

1 comment:

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.