Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review

I've had lots of time for reading this past year as Josh spends most his nights studying, and it's nice to be hanging out next to him, doing my own reading. I think it's been a while since I've shared a book on my blog, but I just finished a great one last week: "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" by Wendy Mogel. I've read a handful of parenting books the last few years, but this is probably my favorite one so far. Dr. Mogel is Jewish and I loved the Jewish principles she referenced throughout the book. Here is her "blueprint for parents" and each chapter covers one of these topics:

-Accept that your children are both unique and ordinary.
-Teach them to honor their parents and to respect others – family, friends, and community
-Teach them to be resilient, self-reliant, and courageous.
-Teach them to be grateful for their blessings.
-Teach them the value of hard work.
-Teach them to make their table an altar – to approach food with an attitude of moderation, celebration, and sanctification.
-Teach them to accept rules and to exercise self-control
-Teach them the preciousness of the present moment
-Teach them about God.

Anyway, I always love hearing book suggestions, so here's is my I thought I'd pass it on.  
I thought it was such a helpful, motivating book and I have four pages worth of notes to add to my trusty Reading Log :)

No comments: