Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bryn's Table

One of my very favorite things growing up was my family's little table for kids. My siblings all used it, and it's still around. I spent so much time at that table, drawing, painting, making crafts, doing puzzles, playing house, and having tea parties with my neighbors. And now....Brynlee has one! I did lots of research trying to find the one I wanted to buy, but of course the ones that fit my needs were too expensive for my little budget. So I convinced Josh to help me build a table. The wood/nails/screws cost about $30 (but we ended up with extra supplies for future projects). There are cheap tables at IKEA ($25 or so), but they are too small for Brynlee to grow into it.
The table top is 24 inches by 30 inches, and the table is 22.5 inches high.
The chair seat is 14 inches from the ground, so it fits perfect. (Chair is KidKraft, found online for cheaper than we could have made it for. Plus, a chair would have been harder than a table!)
After building the table, I primed it, did two coats of Behr "490c-3 Balmy Seas" semi-gloss paint (it took very little paint), and then three coats of Minwax Polycryclic in clear semi-gloss. It may have been fine with just the paint, but the polyurethane gives it a really durable, wipe-able surface that is perfect for a kids table.
(The paint color is off in this photo. Too blue.)
Bryn LOVES it. She's been sitting at it all afternoon, coloring, reading books, and playing with animals. And I'm just giddy, thinking of little tea parties!

3 comments:

whitney johnson said...

oh my gosh i love it! what a cute idea. i'm really impressed with all the stuff you make! it's incredible, good job :)

JS said...

I love it! Berkleigh and Merrick got one for Easter... but then I took it back cause I found one on the side of the road...anyways, i am still not done with it, but almost!

Way to go!

{autie} said...

you guys are rad! so cute!