Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Overly Confident

I started sewing ten months ago, was feeling pretty comortable with it, and decided I was capable of sewing a slipcover for an armchair. How hard could it be, right? Pretty hard, actually, for a beginner like me. I'll post a few more details and the rest of the story later. The welting on the top of the cushion is a little crooked now that I look at it, and some parts aren't as fitted as I'd hoped, but oh well. It's a miracle it even fits! I'm not sure if I like the pleated bottom, that I tried to copy from a chair I saw in Domino magazine, but I'm going to give it a few weeks to grow on me before I rip it off and put on a straight panel. Do the pleats look playful and fun or just old-fashioned? And would you actually tell me if you thought they looked bad??? Probably not. If anyone's going to be honest with me it's Marie, so speak up Rie if you hate them. But WAHOO for being done! (for now?) Now I can FINALLY get back to sewing fun, easy projects.

9 comments:

JS said...

are ya kidding? You sewed that! That is amazing! I think it looks great. I like the orange pillow with it...

and I actually really like the pleats.

RIndi said...

Laura, I LOVE the chair! Keep it the way it is for sure! It's not old fashioned, it's throwback which is SOOO in right now anyway! Also, the post of Bryn praying is EXACTLY what Beckam does! I seriously have been having this dilemma because I told Joe I never want to discourage praying around him but seriously sometimes it's like 10 prayers in a row! I'll have to find out what you usually say to Bryn to get her to limit them!

Brandi said...

WHAT!

Diana Hulme said...

No way!!! A SLIPCOVER? Sheesh, Lar - that's like totally professional. It looks perfect to me, and I really like the pleats!

Gloria said...

Laura you are amazing!! I don't know how on earth you did that, but it looks fantastic! And I am a fan of the pleats...it gives a little flair :)

Jessica F. said...

Are you kidding me??? You just whipped up a chair cover. I LOVE it!!!

Nate and Julie said...

I was just thinking how much I liked the pleats before I read the post. Seriously, you are amazing! I wish we were neighbors so some of your amazingness would rub off on me!

{autie} said...

I wouldn't comment if I didn't like the pleats...and I totally like them...don't rip them off!

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

love the pleats